Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas Ya'll!

Christmas is all about food, family, gifts, snow, glitter, music, evergreens, holly, cinnamon, apples, bells, bows and boxes.  We get so caught up in all of that, making sure that all the gifts are ready to go by the eve of Christmas day, when the whole world shuts down, and rips into the work of the shopping season.  On the big day, we eat, drink, travel, hug, and sometimes try to find a store open to find the half and half that we need to go in the sweet potatoes, since we used it all in our coffee that morning.
I like to stay in my pajamas for as long as I can, woobied up with a cup of something warm and wonderful, and a pile of wrapping paper crumpled around me from all the flotsam of the tearing open of boxes and bags full of goodies. 
A ginormous cinnamon bun with real butter for breakfast and now I feel ready for a nap:)
Soon, it will be time to start cooking.  Or watching the various cooks do their enormous task of putting together a gargantuan feast.  We each have a contribution to the kitchen.  Turkey, ham, gravy, taters of two kinds, a half a dozen various vegetable casseroles, pies, cakes, salads,  fresh breads, the list goes on.  Lots of butter and sugar.  My contribution to the meal is the deviled eggs.  It's my job.  Well, and my chickens.  Other than the eating part.
I'll go on a diet after New Years - I mean - why not just enjoy it all NOW?

But we all know that the real reason for the season is Jesus.  The celebration of His birth, on earth, to Mary and Joseph, in a stable, in Bethlehem.  Last night our church had our first candlelight service in our beautiful church building.  Actually, it is a big barn:)  Pastor Dave read the scripture of the story and in between, our band Branded by Grace, played songs like Mary did you Know, There's a new Kid in Town,  Born in a Barn, and Away in a Manger.  It was magical and beautiful.  I felt honored to be a part of it.
The story grounds me.  Calms me. Centers me. Makes me feel like I'm in this world to reflect the light. That whatever I forgot to do for Christmas Day doesn't matter as long as I remember the story.  The real story of why we celebrate Christmas.

Happy Birthday Jesus!


Say it with a SMILE and a handmade TILE! www.tilesmile.etsy.com www.tilesmile.artfire.com www.tilesmile.funkyfinds.com www.tilesmile.1000markets.com

No comments: