Friday, November 12, 2010

rainy days and fridays

Ah, a rainy day at last.  Seems I'm always hoping for rain.  I think since I moved to the country and I can see things growing around the vast countryside without the aid of a sprinkler system.  I realize how dependent we are as humans on the rain and the sun for our health, for our food, for our daily nourishment.

I've spent the last two weeks cleaning out the garage and the studio and still haven't finished, but there is light at the end of the tunnel for sure.  Weekend before last, a  poorly attended garage sale despite great weather and good advertisement, but we got rid of a few sundry items and took the rest of it to Goodwill.  There is still more to go, but it will have to wait now.  The Christmas season, the holiday season has quickly encroached on my social and home life and needs all of my attention.

Last week and weekend was spent readying and working a show in Fort Worth.  Again, poorly attended despite the good weather, but I made some great contacts and created new friendships.  It always amazes me the graciousness of people I hardly know.  Maybe it is because my work touches people in so many ways.  Words reaching out to bring encouragement, or joy, or just a laugh out loud.  I heard many of those while I was attending my booth this past weekend.  But the most gracious of them all this weekend, was the woman that told me about a rock she had one of her tilesmiles displayed in.  It had a perfectly squared hollow in it that a tilesmile fit into like a glove.  Me, being the rock hound that I am, loved hearing that, and we shared many stories of picking up rocks in foreign places to bring home as souvenirs.  It is ridiculous how many rocks I have hauled around the country.  My husband just tolerates it and lifts the heavy ones for me.  ( If you haven't seen the movie, The Long Long Trailer, I highly recommend it:)

Anyway, the next day, she shows up at my booth again, with the rock IN TOW!  Once I figure out how to put a photo on here from my phone, I'll share it with you.  I mean, she wrapped up that ROCK and brought it to me to show it to me!  Not a photo - but the whole cotton pickin ROCK!  I almost cried.  I mean, she went out of her way to share something wonderful with me.  Ok, maybe not wonderful to anyone else but a rock hound, but I was just thrilled with her thoughtfulness and grace.

Not to mention all the people that shared with me how they had used my tilesmiles in their kitchens or bathrooms, or given them to people that were overcome with grief, or a health issue.  And the one lady that knew all about this blog, and apologized for knowing so much about my work and me, thinking I would think her a stalker or something.  I mean, this is sort of so you can know me just a little bit?  To know where all this stuff comes from, that it actually means something to me.  No, I'm grateful, and honored to be read at all.

So, today, after two weeks of hard work, I am still in bed at 11am, reading, writing, listening to the wind, and before that, the rain, and thankful for the people in my life, the house over my head, the art within me, for my Lord Jesus Christ, my music, my family, my wonderful husband, and my dog, Gracie.
Life is good.  Especially when it rains.

Say it with a SMILE and a handmade TILE! www.tilesmile.etsy.com www.tilesmile.artfire.com

No comments: